Letterkenny Rovers 8 - 3 Gweedore United


Goalscorers: Darragh Morrison x4, Jordan Nugent x2, Arten Tymoshchenko, DJ McCauley


A comfortable win for Rovers started with the first goal after just 3 minutes of play when a ball crossed from the left, controlled on chest by Danny Hall before playing it into the box for Darragh Morrison with back to goal scored from over head kick.

A minute later Rovers were in the box again and the ball landed once again to Darragh Morrison who stepped inside to shoot finishing and score.


Gweedore had their first real chance 15 minutes in with a ball played by Callum Ferriter to Dean Collum but couldn’t get a clear shot and resulted in a free out.


On 19 minutes a great ball to back post finds James Gallagher who puts it back across the goal with Darragh Morrison striking only to be saved and cleared by the Gweedore keeper Oran Craig.


Evin Gibbons had a great chance for Rovers on 21 minutes from a ball crossed by Danny hall from the right wing with the strike being denied by the crossbar.


Seconds later Gweedore had the ball in the other half of the pitch and Mark Margey comes out to meet it but mistimed on the wet surface and the ball passed behind him for Gweedores Matthew Galway to run by and easily put it into the empty net.


A throwin for Gweedore on 26 minutes broke to Rovers in the middle of the pitch about 40 yards out. Arten Tymoshchenko, spotting the opportunity drives it over the keeper, dipping on time to hit the net.


Gweedore had another good chance on 32 minutes when Rovers failed to clear and Matthew Galway got through only for Margey to block it from ending in the net.


On 40 minutes a ball worked in between Kieran Doherty and Evin Gibbons played to Jordan Nugent whose 20 yard shot ended in a further goal for Rovers, ending the first half 4-1.

Darragh Morrison scores 4 goals against Gweedore United 30th September 2023

The first of the second half came on 52 minutes when the ball went down the right wing and Kieran Doherty did well to get to it before it ran over the end line, pulling it back to edge of the 18yd for Jordan Nugent to run on to and strike across goal into bottom left of the net.


On 66 minutes Darragh Morrission played the ball into the box from the right of the 18yd.

Dj McCauley slides in and gets a touch on the ball to direct towards goal finding its way through the keepers legs into the net.


A few minutes later a Rovers free from the left wing was met by Darragh Morrison making a run to head it into goal for his hat-trick.


Gweedore were not finished yet and on 75 minutes a free kick from 40 yards out was mishandled by Rovers keeper Margey and ended up in the net.


Gweedore on 82 minutes broke on the right wing with a nice chip ball by Cain Gallagher finding Ronan O’Donnell who put it through for James McGlinchey to push it past Rovers keeper from about 7 yards.


Rovers scored the final goal of the game on 88 minutes when a free kick driven hard and low from just outside the 18yd box by Darragh Morrison made its way into the net.

Final score: Letterkenny Rovers 8 Gweedore United 3