Letterkenny Rovers 4 - 4 Bonagee United

Letterkenny Rovers Saturday League side drew with Bonagee 4 - 4 on 4th November

Saturday 4th November 2023

In a thrilling derby clash at Leckview, Bonagee got off to the perfect start just 2 minutes into the game. It was a set piece situation, a free kick from about 35 yards out on the left. Fintan Hassan made a clever run down the left wing, receiving the free kick. He drove the ball across the six-yard box, and at the back post, Ricky Guntrip tapped it into the Rovers net, giving Bonagee the early lead.


Moments later, another free kick was awarded just outside the 18-yard box, this time for a foul on Fintan Hassan. Daniel Wajcilm stepped up and struck the ball low to the right of the wall, slotting it into the right side of the goal to make it 0-2 in favor of Bonagee.


Rovers managed to pull one back when a corner, delivered into the box by Gareth Temple, was headed into the goal by James Gallagher. The score stood at 1-2, and still only 10minutes played.


In the 11th minute, Fintan Hassan delivered a precise through ball for Ultan McMullan, who crossed it well. The ball was met and finished well by Noah Barrett, extending Bonagee's lead to 3-1.


On the 36th minute, a penalty was awarded when Danny Hall was taken down in the box. Danny converted from the spot, keeping Rovers in the game with a score of 2-3 at halftime.

As the second half began, Rovers settled in and controlled large portions of the game, but Bonagee remained a threat when in possession. In the 61st minute, Bonagee had a chance to extend their lead, but Caolan McGarrigle's strike hit the right post.


Rovers had a good opportunity in the 73rd minute when Conor O’Donnell's corner was headed over the bar by Darragh Morrison.


Rovers managed to equalize in the 77th minute when a high ball over the Bonagee defense was met by Jason Doherty, who controlled it beautifully and slotted it into the net, beyond the reach of Bonagee's keeper, John Carr.


In the 83rd minute, Rovers had a chance to take the lead when Ciaran Doherty's powerful strike hit the right corner of the crossbar. However, it was Bonagee who regained the lead on the 85th minute with a free kick delivered high into the box from close to the halfway line. Sean Hume's header lobbed Rovers' keeper, Mark Margey, giving Bonagee a one-goal lead.


Rovers continued to battle and down to 10 men in the dying moments, two minutes into injury time, Jordan Nugent unleashed a great strike from 30 yards out, beating Carr and leveling the score. The final whistle blew with the scoreline at 4-4, great derby clash.


Referee: Alister Gourley.