Aileach 3 - 2 Rovers

Published on 18 January 2022 at 15:58

Ulster Junior Cup - Second Round

Date: Sunday 23rd Jan 2022 
Time: 1:30pm 
Location: Aileach

Rovers goals from Patrick Gahir and Jack Dwyer(penalty)

After 5 minutes  a Caolan Doherty cross was turned goalwards by Gavin Doherty but he was unlucky to see his effort clip the bar. 

Aileach went ahead  five minutes later when Paddy Slevin played a good through ball for the run of Aaron Nash who advanced before sliding the ball under Blake Forkan from 12 yards. Number two arrived on 18 minutes when Nash got room down the left again before cutting in and curling a fine effort which came back off the bar and Darren McMonagle was first to react and finish from close range. The young Letterkenny side settled a bit more after this and carved out a half chance on 30 minutes when Patrick Gahir got space on the left of the box but his tame effort was easily dealt with by David McGeady in the home goal. Five minutes later the same player was the beneficiary of a poor clearance and he controlled and fired a fierce drive from the edge of the box but was well wide. 

The second half started with Aileach again taking the initiative and got a third on 70 minutes when Aaron Nash beat the offside trap and cooly clipped the ball over the advancing Forkan. Aileach made a few substitutions at this stage which disrupted the flow of the game and Letterkenny got a goal back on 75 minutes when a Jack  Dwyer shot fell kindly for Patrick Gahir and he controlled well before firing past McGeady from six yards. This gave the youngsters some belief and they began to force the issue but Aileach should have restored their advantage but for some poor finishing and heroics by Forkan in the away goal the game remained alive. With 5 minutes left Letterkenny were awarded a penalty when McGeady was adjudged to have impeded Luke Parke. Jack Dwyer saw his initial effort saved by McGeady but the rebound fell kindly and he was able to finish before a defender could get back. This made for a hectic last period but Aileach held on to progress to the next round.